2015 registration rules
The following rules attempt to make registration as fair and equitable as possible to all who wish to participate. Any situation not covered in these rules should be addressed to the Event Director - Participants. Interpretations of these rules will be decided by the Event Steering Committee. It is recognized that there will be a large number of individuals desiring to participate in this event and that, combined with certain unfortunate situations out of our control may result in unfortunate outcomes that may seem unfair to some individuals. Special cases where the rules below are broken will not be allowed.
MARKETING AND ELIGIBILITY
- Marketing for this year’s event will begin mid-May.
- Only the following individuals will be allowed to participate as a climber:
- Active duty law enforcement officers (paid or reserve local / state / federal)
- Active duty EMS ONLY (can only hold affiliation with a state-registered EMS provider)
- Climbers must be able to present ID that proves their active duty status with public safety organization
- Registration for the climb will open on June 1st at 8am EST.
- Registrations will occur individually - one at a time. There will be no team registrations.
- Registration will close once 343 firefighters, 60 law enforcement officers and 8 EMS ONLY personnel complete the registration process.
- Once each category (Fire, Law Enforcement and EMS) is full, alternate registration for each category will open up.
We anticipate a need for between 100 and 150 alternate spots. In years past, other climbs have routinely taken over 60 people from the alternate list from the time registration was opened until the climb. Serving as an alternate is very important and should be considered an honor, as your place on that list guarantees that all 343 are represented at the climb. See more details on alternates at the bottom of this list.
- The registration homepage is accessed via the CLIMB icon on the main page.
- The registration cost is $50.00 and covers
- - Event expenses such as event insurance and administration costs
- Participant t-shirt/decal/trinket
- Any remaining fees are either held for administrative costs between events or donated to one of the event beneficiaries (as decided by the steering committee). More information on event expenses can be found on our Who Plans The Event? Page.
- If you do not receive a confirmation email within 24hrs of registration:
- check your spam folder
- if it is not in your spam folder, contact your participant coordinator (Fire/EMS or Law Enforcement) or the Assistant Event Director - Participants
- Climbers wishing to represent a particular firefighter/police officer or company must indicate this during the registration process and should follow-up with the Fire/EMS or Police Participant Coordinator. The guidelines used to grant these requests are prioritized based upon the type of connection and on a case-by-case basis. Certainly requests with the closest connections (such as a family member, close friend, station connection) have precedence.
- Climbers are encouraged (but not required) to collect pledges of at least $1.00 per floor. During the registration process climbers will select which one of the event beneficiaries they would like to raise pledges for. Climbers are highly encouraged to collect these pledges through their online pledge page which should be created after completing the registration process. Participants will receive an email with a link to their pledge page and instructions on how to customize it.
- It is anticipated that there will be a high demand to participate – registration may fill up in a very short time.
- All climbers should consult their physician and be engaged in an adequate physical conditioning program prior to the event.
- Participants must agree to the event rules and sign a liability waiver.
- Registrants should receive, print and completely read the confirmation email(s) AND any links and attachments as they contain important information, including what to expect next in the process.
- Individuals who experience difficulty in the registration process should contact us immediately in order to resolve their issue(s)
- If at some point before September 1st the alternate list drops below 50 (30 fire/20 police) the alternate registration process will reopen on our website and more alternates will be gathered until 50 is reached.
- Alternates who do not get to climb will be offered a pre-registration code the following year to secure a spot to climb two days before general registration opens.
- The registration is non-refundable and is considered a donation to the event unless notice is received at least 2 weeks prior to the climb date less service charges associated with the registration process and handling fees.
- Should a registered participant drop out or not be able to show up to the climb they must notify either their participant coordinator or the Assistant Event Director - Participants in writing prior to 6am the day of the event. If notification is not received then these individuals waive their right to any merchandise ordered during the registration process.
- No substitutions will be allowed. Vacancies will only be filled by alternates.
- Alternates will be placed based upon the order that their registration was received.
- Alternates may be required to confirm their desire to remain on the alternate list periodically and the alternate lists will be comprised of only those who have confirmed their desire to remain on the list.
- The final alternate list will be prepared the day before the climb.